Friday, September 4, 2009

Learning To Start IV's!

So I am nearing the end of being in the nursing program...8 months or 2 semesters to be exact. I have really been looking forward to this semester for two reasons, one it is the second to last semester and two...we learn to start IV's and give medication through them. I was pretty nervous when this day came. I didn't know if I could do it, or if I could let my fellow practicing student poke me with those huge needles. Well needless to say I was pretty brave and let two students start IV's on me...pretty amazing seeing how I can poke other people, but hate when the needle is coming towards me. Haha!

Well the time came for me to start my first IV and pass it off in front of the instructor. My fellow students were trying to prep me and tell me that usually you do not get your first IV in (I think that they know how hard I am on myself). Well I got all prep-ed and ready to insert the IV. I went in, saw the flash of blood, went a little further and then inserted the catheter. It was awesome. I got it on my first try. I was amazed. Then everyone started to rush over to see and congratulate me on my so called victory. That is when the trouble started. I got flustered because everyone came over and was watching. The poor guy bleed like no other. You will see from the pictures how good it was. Apparently I was pretty entertaining because I sure got them all to laugh. I will have you all know I am not squeamish of blood, I just got flustered because I forgot what to do next, and I felt bad that he was bleeding a ton. Needless to say my fellow student lived, and Brent will still not allow me to practice on him. Haha!

Getting ready to start the IV!


I got the catheter in and can stop the bleeding, too many people telling me what to do! And yes...the they caught my picture at just the right moment!


Finally calmed down, now just checking to make sure I have a patent line.


A look at some of the blood.

10 comments:

Rachel Lacy said...

Ha Ha that picture is priceless!!! Congrats! I'm so happy for you! It's the little accomplishments in life that are so great!

Nina said...

That's funny! IVs are scary at first! Once you go to same day surgery or GI lab, you do so many you feel like a pro. At least that day. :) Good job getting it on your first try!!

Nina said...

ps The first few I did, ALWAYS bled all over, it took me a while to figure out how to stop it! haha

Becca J said...

you go girl!

jkl warner said...

Congrats again...and I still love the picture!! Hope you will always get them on the first try!!

Janalee Hubbard said...

Ewwwwwwwww! Gross. I never thought about how exactly you LEARN to do that, by practicing on each other. Your patient was very brave. Your face is priceless, aren't you glad someone was taking pictures for you to keep in your scrapbook forever?
BTW, Dave and I are good for Frightmares, assuming we can get a babysitter for Avery.

Steph said...

Way to go jessica! You guys are awesome to let each other do that on each other, knowing you might miss.. Your guy got lucky though, you getting it on the first try, way to go!!

Cash Family said...

Oh gag me.... I'm glad you don't get squeamish, because I sure am just looking at those pictures! Thank heavens for people like you who want to do that for a living! I'll just stick to cutting hair! Hee hee hee. But, congrats on getting it on your first try. If you need tips on IV's, I've got the hook ups. My mom is really good and she has a friend that is the best IV starter ever!!!!!

P.S. Can't wait to eat Cafe Rio tonight!

Unknown said...

lol OMG Jess you are hilarious!

Jana and Brett said...

haha! Your face is hilarious! I think my face would look like that too...with maybe a little puke...GOOD Job though! You are awesome. :0)